41st National Nutrient Databank Conference
April 19 - 22, 2020
Theme: 20-20 Vision for Food Composition Data: Promoting Public Health Worldwide
Call for Abstracts
The 41st National Nutrient Databank Conference (NNDC) will be held in College Park, MD at The Hotel at The University of Maryland. Submission of abstracts for poster or oral presentations related to food composition and dietary supplement data and databases is now open. Please follow instructions below for abstract content requirements and submission.
Dates to Consider
- Deadline to submit abstract be considered for oral presentation: October 19, 2019
- Deadline to submit abstract be considered for poster presentation: November 19, 2019
- Notification of abstract acceptance: January 6, 2020
Speaker and Poster Presenter guidelines are available for download:
- Click here to download the Speaker Guidelines in PDF
- Click here to download the Poster Session Guidelines in PDF
Students and New Investigators (less than 5 years post degree) may wish to apply to the following awards:
Student and New Investigator Award
Students and new investigators (<5 years post degree) are eligible for an award for an oral
presentation. The NNDC Executive Committee will select up to six students/new investigators for awards.
One award will be given for $1,000 USD; runners-up will each receive $150 USD. Please fill
in appropriate information on the Abstract Template (in Step 2 below) to apply.
The awards will be based on the scientific merit of the abstract, oral presentation and the letter of support for the presenter.
Student Poster Award
The NNDC Executive Committee will recognize up to 3 students (undergraduate and graduate levels) with exemplary posters. Awardees (poster first author) will receive $150 USD, certificate, and recognition on the NNDC web site. Please fill in appropriate information on the Abstract Template (in Step 2 below) to apply.
Steps for Submitting an Abstract
Step 1: Review Abstract Requirements
- Length: 300 words or less
- Format: Microsoft Word, 1-inch margins, single-spaced, all text left justified; Arial 12 point font
- Content for All Abstracts: Title; Author(s)--first and last names, credentials, and affiliation; 2 to 6 key words
- Types: Research or Descriptive
- Headings for Research Abstracts: Objective, Materials and Methods, Results, and Significance
- Headings for Descriptive Abstracts: Background, Objective, Description, and Conclusion
- Funding Disclosure (if applicable)
- Presentation Preference: Oral presentation or Poster session
- To be considered for a Student/New Investigator Award: include the
following 3 items directly below the "Author(s)" on the abstract template
(found in Step 2):
- Abstract and oral or poster presentation to be considered for the Student/New Investigator Award Competitions
- Advisor's Name
Indicate 1 or 2 categories from below that best describes the abstract
- Data quality, variability, bioavailability
- Analytical methods and food sampling
- New data for novel and emerging foods/food components (e.g. glucosinolates, polyphenols, GM crops, others)
- Dietary supplements databases
- Data for special population groups
- Advances in using composition data for dietary assessment
- Database technology
- Food labeling and front of pack labels
- Industry/government initiatives impacting databases
- Third party databases
- International work/updates on databases
- Contact information for corresponding author: Name, Organization, Address, Email, Telephone, and Fax
- Language: English only
Step 2: Download abstract template and sample abstract
Step 3: Email completed abstract
Use the abstract template (from step 2) to complete your abstract submission then send it as an
attachment via the following email address:
Please add "Submissions for Call for Abstracts" in the email Subject Line.
For questions or more information regarding abstract submission, please contact
Ms. Judi Spungen
2020 NNDC Program Committee Chair
Please add "Questions on Call for Abstracts" in the Subject Line for a prompt response.
The Hotel at The University of Maryland
7777 Baltimore Ave
College Park, MD 20740
More to come soon!